PROFESSIONAL FINISHING TECNIQUES
After all those hours of knitting the individual pieces of our garment, the sewing-up and finishing can be daunting, and fear of ruining our work can lead to stalling. It’s often the details that allow our knitted garments to have a pleasing, professional “handmade” finish – but instructions for achieving such finishes aren’t always included in the pattern.
In this workshop, we will discuss the different stages of the process of making a professionally finished garment to allow us to better manage our time and expectations. We’ll learn some of the techniques needed to create that professional finish including amending the instructions for shoulder-shaping to avoid stepped, holey edges, grafting by knitting to bring together each side and how to pick up stitches.
Skill Level: Confident beginners and intermediate knitters
Skills Needed: Casting on and off, knit, purl, simple shaping.
- Your completed homework
- More of the same yarn (for completing the sample) NB You might want to consider a contrast colour yarn of the same weight for picking-up stitches
- 3.5mm/US size 4 circular needles (cable length approx. 60cm/24” – exact length is not essential)
- 3.75mm/US size 5 needles (straight or circular, whichever you prefer for working back and forth)
- 4mm/US size 6 needles (straight or circular, whichever you prefer for working back and forth)
- Your knitting bag with your usual accessories (including a wool/tapestry/darning needle, scissors)
- Perhaps a notepad and pen/pencil in case you want to take additional notes
- Glasses if you wear them :-)
Homework: Participants have been sent an email detailing the small amount of knitting required in advance of attending this workshop
Workshop Duration: 3 hours
Date / Time: Saturday 3rd August 2019, 10am to 1pm
Price: £57.50 Workshop + Saturday Entry / £63.00 Workshop + Weekend Entry / £50.00 Additional Workshop (only valid if purchased AFTER purchasing a different Workshop + Entry ticket)